The Family Place
“Where family violence stops”
In 2013, The Family Place provided services in Spanish and in English to a total of 11,758 clients. Since 1978, we have counseled more than 225,000 clients, provided lifesaving shelter to more than 21,000 women, children and men, and answered more than 550,000 calls for help. We have helped more than 20,000 batterers learn how to change their abusive behavior and reach approximately 6,000 students each year through our youth education programs.
Family Violence in Dallas
- 38% of Texas women—more than one in three—have experienced intimate partner violence in their lifetime. (Texas Council on Family Violence)
- 70% of the children of abused women are also physically abused, and 20% are sexually abused. The majority of abusive men were either abused as children or witnessed their mothers being abused. (WomenKind, Inc.)
- In 2013, the Dallas Police Department Family Violence Unit reported 13,007 family violence calls resulting in 1,215 aggravated assaults, 23 murders, 10,812 reported offenses, 91 sexual assault offenses, 180 violations of protective orders, and 5,782 arrests.
- The 2013 Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance Point-in-Time Homeless Count found 2,972 people living on Dallas streets or in shelters. 24% of the homeless population was children, and 14% of the adult population listed domestic violence as their reason for homelessness.
The Family Place is a 4 Star Charity
Help us help our families by considering to adopt this year!
Here’s how it works:
- Our program has families that range in size from single women to moms with up to seven children.
- Submit your online request below!
- Based on your response, we will match you with the appropriate sized family, and contact you with details.
- You will shop for each member of the family, as well as shop for some wrapping paper, tape and bows to give to the mom to wrap the gifts for her children.
- Bring the gifts, labeled with the names of the recipients, to our Holiday Donation Center.
- The Family Place distributes the gifts to the families.
2014 Adopt-a- Family Sign-Up
*All fields below are required
Not able to Adopt-a-Family this year? You can still help by participating in our Adopt-a-Shelter Program or making a donation earmarked “Adopt-a-Family” (in the “Toward a particular program” – Other” tab on our donation page), and we will take care of the shopping.
Essete Workneh | Volunteer and In-Kind Donations Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org | 214.443.7714