Frederick, MD – Frederick police have linked a man to four sexual assault cases dating to the 1990s, after a domestic disturbance at the man’s house last month.
At 3:15 a.m. Oct. 25, police arrived at 47-year-old Joey Leon Laster’s home in the 1800 block of Ganby Way to find a teenage boy knocking on neighbors’ doors and asking for help, according to charging documents.
The boy told police Laster had sexual contact with him, causing him to flee, according to charging documents filed against Laster over the last week in Frederick County District Court.
Laster denied the accusations, but a man and two more boys contacted detectives over the next two days to report past abuse after Laster was charged with second and third-degree sex offense and sex abuse of a minor.
The earliest abuse reported to police dated to 1999, when Laster began inappropriately touching a boy who was then 8 years old, according to documents. The other two boys told police they were abused between 2008 and 2013.
Police said Laster would alternate between using threats and promising gifts to the boys to keep them from telling anyone about the abuse or refusing his advances, the documents state.
“I would kill you before you even thought about telling anyone,” Laster told one boy, according to one set of charging documents.
In addition to the charges filed against him Oct. 25, Laster was also facing five counts of second-degree assault, four counts of sex abuse of a minor and one count of fourth-degree sex offense, according to the charging documents.
Laster was released from the Frederick County Adult Detention Center as of Friday when his combined $725,000 bail was posted through a bondsman, court records state.
Laster was scheduled to appear in court for a preliminary hearing Nov. 25, court records state.