DE Teacher Indicted On 50 Counts To Plead Guilty

.jpg photo of Teacher guilty of Child Sex Abuse
Richard “Dickie” Howell II

Former CR teacher, wrestling coach to plead
guilty in Child Sex Abuse case

DOVER, DE  –  A former high school teacher and wrestling coach who is facing child sex abuse charges has agreed to enter a guilty plea.

A Kent County judge scheduled a plea hearing Friday for Richard “Dickie” Howell II.

Howell was arrested in January 2015 after a female student at Caesar Rodney High School reported that he had sex with her over several months in 2014 that included encounters at school and his home.

Howell was later indicted on 50 felony counts of sexual abuse of a child by a person in a position of trust and sexual solicitation of a child.  He had initially been charged with fourth-degree rape and continuous sexual abuse of a child.

Howell’s trial, which had been repeatedly postponed, was scheduled to begin March 8.

Previous trial dates scheduled for Sept. 9, 2015, Nov. 2, 2015, and Tuesday were postponed.  Last week at a scheduled Final Case Review, the case was placed on a control status and the trial date was postponed pending Tuesday’s appearance.

Deputy Attorney General Kathy Dickerson was prosecuting for the state, with lawyer Alex Funk representing Mr. Howell.

According to the Delaware State Police at the time of his arrest, preliminary investigation found that Howell, 51, of Wyoming, allegedly was involved sexually with a 17-year-old female Caesar Rodney High student from as early as March 2014 until late December 2014.

After indictment on April 6, 2015, the Caesar Rodney School Board accepted Howell ’s resignation.

At the time, Howell ’s arrest on Jan. 14, 2015, was the third of a Kent County public school teacher regarding sexual misconduct allegations involving students in 10 months.

Former Smyrna High teacher and coach Jennifer J. Suarez turned herself in to the Smyrna Police Department on April 25, 2014, and was sentenced 10 years in prison, suspended after six months on Feb. 25, 2015, after pleading guilty to a fourth-degree rape charge involving a male student.

In December 2014, former Caesar Rodney School District teacher Stephanie L. Seabury was sentenced to 18 months probation after pleading to a fourth-degree rape charge regarding a male student at Fred Fifer III Middle School.

Ms. Seabury turned herself in to the Dover Police Department on April 28, 2014.

Both Ms. Suarez and Ms. Seabury were required to register as Tier 2 sex offenders.

Last spring, Howell pleaded not guilty to 50 felony counts in an indictment alleging the sexual relationship with a female student in 2014.

Exiting the courthouse on that day last year, Howell responded with a polite “no thanks” when asked for comment from newspaper and television media.  His lawyer Mr. Funk also declined comment earlier.

Deputy Attorney General Kathleen Dickerson said in court the state would not prosecute two unindicted fourth-degree rape charges initially brought by the Delaware State Police upon Howell ’s arrest in mid-January.

Howell submitted a letter of resignation to the Caesar Rodney School District on April 9, according to a spokesman earlier.  His resignation was approved by board members April 21 at the district’s monthly meeting, officials said.

On April 6, Howell was indicted by a Kent County grand jury on 43 counts of first-degree sexual abuse of a child by a person in a position of trust, authority or supervision, and seven counts of sexual solicitation of a child.

Howell taught physical education and health at CR, and also served as wrestling coach.  He was suspended without pay Jan. 15, a day after police announced the arrest and initial charges against him.

TX Day Care Owner Gets 30 Years

.jpg photo of sentencing of Child Abuser
ILiana Archuleta abused her adopted Children

Day care owner sentenced to 30 years in
heinous Child Abuse case

SAN ANTONIO, TX  –  A mother and owner of a northwest side day care was sentenced to 30 years in prison Friday in a child abuse case stemming from 2012.

That year, Iliana Archuleta’s 8-year-old son was taken to a hospital after suffering a seizure.

Hospital staff reported signs of abuse to authorities, prompting a larger investigation.

That investigation revealed that Archuleta’s three adopted children, 10-year-old twins, a boy and a girl, and the 8-year-old boy, were malnourished.

Investigators interviewed the girl who told them she and her brothers were forced to sleep in a bathtub and were beaten.

According to an affidavit, the children were rarely allowed to eat, but were forced to eat a stick of butter if they misbehaved.

The children were also forced to bite each other when a sibling acted up and one of the children lost part of her left ear during a biting incident, according to investigators.

Archuleta apologized to the court Friday and admitted that she was neglectful but she believes the abuse and torture alleged by the prosecution was exaggerated.

“Thirty years is a lot.  Twenty years is a lot for something that, I feel, happened just when I wasn’t even noticing,” she told the judge.  “I was just in pain, running a business.”

Archuleta’s then-husband, Tim Archuleta, and brother-in-law Rogelio Archuleta were also arrested in connection to the child abuse case.

Tim Archuleta pleaded no contest in January to charges of injury to a child causing serious bodily injury by omission.

During Iliana Archuleta’s sentencing, the prosecution pointed out that her biological children were at a healthy weight, if not overweight, while bones could be seem protruding from her adopted children.

A Child Protective Services worker said Friday that 30 years in prison was not enough for Archuleta and that the Archuleta family received roughly $91,000 in state funding after adopting the three children who were the victims of abuse.

Another case worker testified Friday that the abused children are now in foster care and seem to be excelling in school. 

Vehicle Burning, Who Will Help?

Corpus Christi Officer Pulls Man From
Burning Vehicle

A Corpus Christi police officer helped pull a man to safety after his SUV crashed into a guardrail Monday.

Officer Jon McGinley saw the Chevrolet Suburban speeding on Texas State Highway 358 about 6 p.m.  The SUV took the turn ramp to State Highway 286 and crashed, police said.

McGinley arrived to a burning SUV.  He hit the passenger side window with his baton several times to break it and was able to open the door.

In the video posted to the department’s website, McGinley is heard yelling, “Come on man, get out the car.  Hey, your truck’s on fire.  Get out … Dude, you’re on fire, come on, come on man.  Come this way.”
McGinley and a witness eventually dragged the 29-year-old driver to safety before the SUV was engulfed in flames, police said.

The driver was taken to an area hospital with injuries not believed to be life-threatening.  No charges have been filed against him, police said.

There was no one else in the SUV.

The ramp was closed to traffic for more than an hour until the vehicle was towed.

Apparently Children Don’t Matter In Arizona

.jpg photo of Arizona Child Abuse Hotline Graphic
How can anyone even think of limiting Child Abuse calls?

Arizona House passes bill to limit child abuse investigations from hotline calls

PHOENIX  –  The House has passed a bill that would cut the number of child abuse hotline calls that require full investigations to focus child safety workers on cases that actually involve abuse and neglect.

Republican Rep. Kate Brophy McGee said the change will cull out calls that are impossible to investigate and clog the already overburdened system.

Opponents said not investigating hotline calls is what led to the overhaul of the state child welfare office just two years ago.

The House passed House Bill 2522 on a 49-10 vote Wednesday afternoon. It will now move to the Senate.

Democratic Rep. Rebecca Rios said the measure could create a chilling effect that may lead people to stop calling in cases of abuse and neglect.

Volunteer Gave Children Cell Phones To Record Themselves

.jpg photo of Maryland School
The odd thing is how organized the “Club” was.

MD teacher’s aide gave kids phones to record themselves, sources say

WASHINGTON — The former Prince George’s County teacher’s aide accused of making child pornography reportedly gave cellphones to elementary school students to record themselves, sources say.

Deonte Carraway, who volunteered at Judge Sylvania Woods Elementary, gave cellphones to at least several students to videotape themselves, a source close to the investigation tells NBC 4.

Carraway, 22, is accused of taping children ages 9-13 performing sex acts at the school and other places.

Police say he had dozens of videos and admitted making explicit videos of children.  According to police, 17 victims have come forward.

Carraway was arrested Feb. 5 and is charged with 10 felony counts of manufacturing child pornography, child sex abuse and second degree sexual offense.  He’s being held on $1 million bond.

NBC 4 reports changes are being made at the school.

The school now has a School Resource Officer and is installing 26 cameras inside the school.  Visitors also have to show identification, and a new acting principal has been announced since Principal Michelle Williams was put on administrative leave.