Former Congressional Candidate
Charged With Child Sex Abuse
OKMULGEE COUNTY, OK – A former congressional candidate is behind bars tonight, charged with three counts of child sexual abuse.
Daniel Edmonds ran for Oklahoma’s second congressional district seat in 2010 against Charles Thompson and lost. Okmulgee County sheriff’s deputies arrested Edmonds on Friday.
On Monday, the Muskogee County District Attorney’s Office charged Edmonds with the crimes.
“We’re not gonna tolerate it,” Muskogee County Sheriff Rob Frazier said. “Of course, everyone is innocent until proven guilty,” he continued. “But stuff like this absolutely sickens me.”
One affidavit details incidents that happened between April 2015 and June 2017.
It says “Daniel Edmonds did have sexual contact” with a minor and that the incidents “happened multiple times” in different locations.
“We don’t care who you are, we don’t care where you come from,” Frazier said. “You’re not gonna do this to minor children in Muskogee County.”
A separate affidavit said another child reported “Daniel began molesting him sometime in 2015” and continued until last month.
“It’s been going on for a while, and as far as we can tell, lasted all the way up until almost present day,” the sheriff said.
The report said the boy reported he’d been molested many times.
“You do not have a right to treat anyone in the manner these minor children have been treated,” Frazier said.
Frazier said when the initial report was made, they only knew of one victim, but it’s now developed into two.
“We had developed another victim, so at this time we believe there are two victims and possibly more,” he said. “We’re still under investigation.”
Sheriff Frazier said they’ll continue investigating and make sure there are no more victims.
JACKSONVILLE, NC – A Marine arrested in 2016 in child abuse charges was pronounced not guilty by jury.
Justin Teeter was charged by the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office in February 2016 with intentional child abuse causing serious physical injury and assault by strangulation. He was accused of strangling a 3-year-old and at the time of his arrest was an active-duty Marine with II Marine Expeditionary Force, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, The Daily News reported.
According to Teeter’s defense attorney, Matt Silva, the verdict was a long time coming for Teeter, who is no longer with the Marine Corps.
“I think he can go back and fix things now, which was a part of our goal — to restore his reputation,” Silva said.
The trial began with jury selection Tuesday and closed on Thursday, with the jury returning a verdict in just about an hour, Silva added.
Ultimately, Silva said he and Teeter were pleased with the verdict, which will allow Teeter to move on from the felony allegations he’s faced the last three years.
“I’m just happy he can move on with his life,” Silva said.
Utah couple charged with child abuse
after 3-month-old girl suffers broken bones, brain bleeding and severe burns
SPANISH FORK, UT – A Spanish Fork couple was charged Friday after their three-month-old child was taken to the hospital with bad burns on her body, and other injuries consistent with child abuse, investigators said.
According to a probable cause statement released by the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, officers were contacted by the Department of Child & Family Services to investigate an aggravated child abuse case involving a three-month-old girl.
Investigators went to the University of Utah, where doctors said the baby had second-degree burns on her hand, two broken bones, brain bleeding consistent with shaken baby syndrome and a possible detached retina in her eye.
Doctors determined that the injuries the baby sustained were inflicted over the course of two weeks prior to her being admitted to the hospital, the statement said.
The parents, identified as Whitney Huber, 30, and Daniel Mercer, 28, spoke with police about the incident, according to court documents.
After being interviewed by police, Mercer admitted to “recklessly causing the burns to his infant daughter’s left hand.”
“Daniel admitted to making death threats to the child and telling Huber when they fought on two recent occasions that he would, ‘kill the baby and make her watch as the baby died.’” the statement said.
Neither Huber or Mercer would tell police how the infant sustained the other injuries doctors said she had, police stated.
Mercer was charged Friday with two counts of child abuse – inflict serious physical injury intentionally, both second-degree felonies, possession of a controlled substance, a class-A misdemeanor and use or possession of drug paraphernalia, a class-B misdemeanor.
Huber was charged one count of child abuse, inflict serious physical injury recklessly, a third-degree felony.
Support is available 24/7 in Utah for those dealing with domestic violence. Visit the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition online or call 1-800-897-5465 for resources and assistance. In an emergency, dial 911.
Supporters rally for justice for 7-year-old
girl killed in Texas shooting
Mention of “white shooter” brings out million man march. Two days earlier a man killed his 3 children, an infant, a toddler, and a 5-year-old, and severely wounded his wife, but no protest nor march. These crimes are hate crimes!
HOUSTON, TX – Community members rallied at a Texas business near where a 7-year-old girl was fatally shot when a gunman opened fire on the car she and her family were riding in last weekend in an attack that some believe was race related.
The Harris County sheriff has not said theSunday shooting of Jazmine Barnes, a black child who was fatally struck after a gunman described as a possibly white man in his 30s or 40s opened fire on the family’s car at around 6:50 a.m., was motivated by race, but he has said investigators are not ruling anything out.
Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said Thursday they were focusing “on identifying who this individual is, who this coward is” and finding the red, four-door pickup truck he is believed to have been driving during the shooting.
Jazmine’s mother, who was wounded in the shooting and treated at a hospital and released, said at Saturday’s rally that she appreciates the outpouring of support from around the nation.
“It is going to be justice for her, and I feel it in the bottom of my heart,” said Jazmine’s mother, LaPorsha Washington. “It’s going to be justice for her, because there’s too many people out here looking for this man.”
Washington spoke of the pain of losing a child and said Jazmine’s siblings were next to her when she was shot. She said supporters are giving them strength.
“My babies, man, they come to me and they’re, ‘Momma, are you all OK?’ … helping me, faith in me. And it’s supposed to be the other way around,” Washington said. “It’s not supposed to be like this.”
Washington said they did nothing to provoke the gunman, and she believes it possibly could have been a hate crime.
Police on Thursday released a sketch of the suspect and released surveillance video of what they believe is the red pickup truck he was driving during the shooting.
Attorney Lee Merritt, who is assisting Jazmine’s family, said Saturday that he believes the shooting could be race-related, and he said previously that there seemed to be no other motivation for the crime but race.
“There was no other justification or the motivation that the family could identify, other than a white male who was a complete stranger to them decided to target their family,” Merritt said Thursday at a news conference with the sheriff.
“He had a chance to look into the car, see young girls, observe that family, and without any other explanation he decided to riddle the car with bullets,” Merritt said Thursday.
Supporters on Saturday shouted “What do we want? Justice! Who do we want it for? Jazmine! Say her name! Jazmine!” and “Whose child? Our child!” at the rally.
“However it is defined, it is a hateful and vicious act with violence and guns on innocent women and children driving for a Sunday morning coffee break,” U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, who represents part of Houston, said Saturday. “That should not be acceptable in this country.”
She called the strong turnout at the rally “a powerful expression of really what America is about, and what this great city is about.”
A reward of around $100,000 for information leading to the killer has been raised in an effort spearheaded by activist Shaun King.
Basketball great Shaquille O’Neal and a Houston police officer stepped up to pay for the girl’s funeral. Houston Texans star wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins said he will pledge his playoff check to help the family and find the suspect.
The Harris County Sheriff’s Office said on Twitter Friday that “Investigators have received many potential leads since releasing the suspect sketch” in the killing
Spacey will be arraigned at Nantucket District Court on January 7 on a charge of indecent assault and battery, according to the district attorney of Cape and Islands, Massachusetts.
Prosecutors did not name the alleged victim of the July 2016 incident but former Boston-based television news anchor Heather Unruh told a news conference last year that police were investigating a complaint by her son against the “House of Cards” and “American Beauty” star.
Unruh told reporters the 59-year-old had sexually assaulted her son on the holiday island of Nantucket after plying him with alcohol late at night in a bar in July 2016.
Unruh described her son at the time as a “star-struck, straight” 18-year-old.
“Kevin Spacey bought him drink after drink after drink, and when my son was drunk, Spacey made his move and sexually assaulted him,” Unruh told the news conference in Boston.
“Spacey stuck his hand inside my son’s pants and grabbed his genitals,” Unruh said. Her intoxicated son, whom she did not name, panicked and froze.
When Spacey left briefly to use the bathroom, he allegedly fled to his grandmother’s house, where he is said to have told his sister what had happened.
Spacey was considered one of the finest actors of his generation. His career has nose-dived following allegations of sexual misconduct by more than a dozen men in the United States and Britain.
The first public report of alleged abuse by him came from actor Anthony Rapp, who claimed that Spacey sexually abused him when Rapp was 14, in 1986.
Spacey apologised to Rapp, claiming not to remember the incident, but remained silent as accusations against him mushroomed.
As a result, Netflix dropped Spacey from its political thriller series “House of Cards,” and he was dumped from his scenes in Ridley Scott’s film “All the Money in the World.”
Spacey is one of the most high-profile figures in the torrent of allegations that have brought down male power players from the worlds of politics, finance, entertainment and journalism, in the wake of accusations against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein 14 months ago.
As the arraignment was announced, a bizarre video was shared by Spacey’s Twitter account of the actor apparently addressing his sacking by Netflix — while in character as President Frank Underwood from “House of Cards.”
“Oh sure, they may have tried to separate us, but what we have is too strong, too powerful. After all, we shared everything, you and I,” Spacey says in Underwood’s signature southern drawl, in the video entitled titled, “Let Me Be Frank.”
“I told you my deepest, darkest secrets. I showed you exactly what people are capable of. I shocked you with my honestly, but mostly I challenged you and made you think. And you trusted me, even though you knew you shouldn’t. So we’re not done, no matter what anyone says. And besides, I know what you want. You want me back.”
The three-minute vignette marks Spacey’s first public performance since the allegations against him came to light.
“Of course, some believed everything and have been just waiting with baited breath to hear me confess it all. They’re just dying to have me declare that everything said is true and that I got what I deserved,” he goes on.
“Only you and I both know it’s never that simple, not in politics and not in life,” he says — apparently an allusion to the allegations against both the actor and his Machiavellian character on the show.