Tag Archives: Child Sexual Abuse

Man Kidnaps 12-yr-old Girl

Victor Arroyo
Victor Arroyo

N.C. man arrested in connection with 12-year-olds disappearance

A North Carolina man has been charged in connection with the disappearance of a 12-year-old Baltimore County girl who was found this weekend after a multistate search, authorities said Monday.

Victor Arroyo, 32, faces first-degree kidnapping and first-degree rape charges, said Assistant District Attorney Melanie Shekita of the Wake County district attorney’s office in North Carolina. He was being held in a detention center there on a $1.6 million bond, according to court records.

The girl went missing Nov. 11 after leaving her home for Perry Hall Middle School, where she is a student. FBI agents located her at a Raleigh, N.C., home Friday night, and she was returned to her family in Maryland.

Her disappearance sparked a high-profile search, and police received about 100 tips while she was missing.

Investigators say the girl had a history of communicating with men online. Digital forensics, including analysis of her iPod and Xbox activity, played a critical role in locating her, they said.

A North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement agent with the Raleigh-Durham Safe Streets Task Force, which is staffed by FBI agents and other law enforcement officials, issued the warrant for Arroyo’s arrest, said a North Carolina Department of Public Safety spokeswoman, Patty McQuillan.

Baltimore County Police said Monday evening that they also have obtained an arrest warrant charging Arroyo with kidnapping.

Ok Attorney likes sex with Children

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Attorney Held on Child Sex-Abuse Charges

(CN) – An Oklahoma attorney traveled to Peru for a decade to have sex with children, federal prosecutors say in a three-count indictment.

Michael Dean Billings, 59, of Oklahoma City, was charged Oct. 22 with conspiracy to commit sex trafficking of children, conspiracy to travel with intent to engage in illicit sexual contact and conspiracy to engage in illicit sexual conduct in foreign places. The criminal indictment was unsealed Friday.

Prosecutors said Billings and others “conspired to commit sex trafficking of children by recruiting and obtaining children in Peru to engage in commercial sex acts and further conspired to travel from Oklahoma City to Iquitos, Peru.”  “Billings and others known and unknown to the grand jury, conspired and agreed with each other to knowingly, in and affecting interstate and foreign commerce, recruit, entice, harbor, transport, provide, obtain and maintain by any means [victims] knowing and in reckless disregard of the fact that force, threats of force, fraud and coercion … that the victims had not attained the age of 18 years and would be caused to engage in commercial sex acts,” the four-page criminal indictment states.

Billings flew to Peru “for the purposes of engaging in any illicit sexual conduct … with persons under 18 years of age,” the indictment states.

He was arrested Friday morning at his law office and appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Suzanne Mitchell, who ordered him held without bond pending a final detention hearing scheduled for Monday afternoon.

Billings faces up to life in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted.

 

Woman Behind Bars for Sodomizing Boy

Woman Behind Bars After Self-Pics Sodomizing Child

Police have arrested a woman in Albuquerque after discovering the photos she emailed to another man of her performing oral sex on a 7-year-old boy.

Gwen Lindgren has been behind bars since Wednesday and is facing charges of criminal sexual penetration of a minor, criminal sexual contact of a minor, sexual exploitation of children, tampering with evidence and bribery or intimidation of a witness. Lindgren’s husband found the photos last week, but police report that the pictures were taken in September.

Lindgren had met the man she sent the photos to on the Internet. After being arrested and interviewed by authorities, she claimed that the man, whom she refers to as “the caretaker,” forced her to take the photos and send them to him. Lindgren said the man was helping her get through marital problems, and if he asked her to take similar photos again, she could not guarantee them that she wouldn’t.

The identity of the boy has not been revealed, but neighbors say they had been concerned even before news of the sexual abuse came out. Denise Phillips, who lived in the same apartment complex, says she often saw the child being neglected: “He would swim alone, he would wait at the bus stop on his own, sometimes without a coat in the dead of winter. He would always be wandering around on his own. So, of course, we were welcoming to him.”

After a few months, Phillips and other neighborhood moms called the Children, Youth and Families Department (CYFD) of New Mexico back in May. They saw representatives of the CYFD visit the boy’s home, but no one was ever taken into custody. Phillips believes that if they took the boy into the custody of the state, the assault could have been prevented.

Lindgren is facing the additional charge of intimidating a witness after she threatened the boy to never discuss what she did to him.

The husband found the photos of the two in compromising positions when he was going through his wife’s phone and alerted local law enforcement.

He told authorities that Gwen had told him she had engaged in sex acts with a child before, but he hadn’t believed her at first since they were both very drunk at the time.  The husband says the two were separated and in the process of getting a divorce.

Taking the Honor, then the life of a Child

2014-11-14-FloridaExecution-1After 22 years, the debt is paid for a Wife and Step-Daughter

TALLAHASSEE Fla. (Reuters) – A man convicted of fatally shooting his sleeping wife, then raping and murdering her 10-year-old daughter, was executed by lethal injection Thursday evening at Florida State Prison after spending almost half his life on death row, according to the Florida Department of Corrections.

The execution of Chadwick Banks, 43, was delayed by about an hour because of an unsuccessful late appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court for a stay, DOC spokeswoman Jessica Cary said.

Attorneys had challenged the state’s lethal injection methods and argued that Banks’ post-conviction legal representation was inadequate. State and federal courts have frequently turned down such arguments in past cases.

Banks shot his sleeping wife, Cassandra Banks, at their mobile home near Quincy in north Florida in 1992. He was arrested four days later and confessed that he then killed his stepdaughter, Melody Cooper, after sexually assaulting her.  Evidence and trial testimony showed Banks was drinking and shooting pool at a neighborhood bar with his wife on the night of the crimes. She went home and Banks followed an hour later.

Banks was sentenced to death in 1994 for the child’s slaying and to life in prison for his wife’s murder. After some 20 years of appeals in the case, Florida Governor Rick Scott signed Banks’ death warrant in September. Banks had a visit on Thursday with his parents and nine siblings, as well as a spiritual adviser, Cary said.

It was the 20th execution of Scott’s first term in office, one fewer than former Governor Jeb Bush presided over in two terms as governor, according to the Florida Department of Corrections website. Scott was re-elected this month to his second four-year term.

Banks’ death also marked the 89th execution in Florida since the death penalty was reinstated in the United States in 1976.

Sexually Violent Predator and Pedophile

2014-11-12-Gary_Snavely-VSP-1State again proposes placing Child Predator in San Diego County

Posted: Nov 12, 2014 8:38 PM CST Updated: Nov 12, 2014 8:38 PM CST
SAN DIEGO (CNS) – The Department of State Hospitals Wednesday proposed housing sexually violent predator and pedophile Gary Snavely in Jacumba Hot Springs.

In August, a judge determined that Snavely, 51, could be safely released in San Diego County as long as he continued to get treatment. Public comment related to his release from prison will be accepted at a Dec. 19 court hearing. Last month, officials proposed placing Snavely in Borrego Springs, but that plan was withdrawn.

Snavely was convicted in 1987 of molesting two Orange County girls younger than 10 and served three years in prison. He was released, but violated his parole and was returned to prison.
In 1996 while living in San Diego after his release, Snavely was convicted of failing to register as a sex offender and was sentenced to 16 months behind bars.

Prior to his release from prison, the District Attorney’s Office filed a petition to civilly commit Snavely as a sexually violent predator. In 1998, Snavely was found to be an SVP and was ordered to undergo treatment at a state mental hospital.

 In 2008, the court granted Snavely’s request for conditional release, but he was returned to the hospital several months later for medication misuse.

In April, Snavely filed a petition for conditional release, which Judge Louis Hanoian granted after hearing testimony from two mental health experts and reviewing reports from other experts.

Members of the public can comment on Snavely’s proposed placement in Jacumba Hot Springs by going to the court hearing on Dec. 19 or do the following by Nov. 21:

— email to sdsafesheriff.org;

— call (858) 495-3619; or

— send mail to SVP Release/SAFE Task Force, 9425 Chesapeake Drive, San Diego, CA, 92123.