Convicted molester’s girlfriend admits
letting him assault daughter, 10,
resulting in pregnancy
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – Indiana woman on Tuesday admitted to charges that she allowed her boyfriend to molest her daughter, leading to the then 10-year-old’s pregnancy.
The 33-year-old woman, of Marion, pleaded guilty to charges of neglect, aiding child molesting and assisting a criminal. She avoided a trial by accepting a sentence of 20 years in prison and five years of probation.
“We were certainly ready to go to trial in a few weeks, but the emotional and psychological toll would have been significantly more (for this trial) than the Thrash trial,” Deputy Grant County Prosecutor Lisa Glancy said.
The woman’s boyfriend, 34-year-old Nicholas Deon Thrash, was convicted of 10 counts of child molesting and sentenced last week to 160 years in prison. The victim, who was not named, testified Thrash had molested her at least 15 times.
The mother admitted her daughter told her Thrash was molesting her, yet she continued to live with him, the Chronicle-Tribune of Marion, Ind., reported. She reportedly instructed the daughter to say a classmate impregnated her.
Neither the molestation nor pregnancy was reported to police.
Part of the woman’s plea required that she have no contact with her now 12-year-old daughter until a counselor gives permission. The Associated Press did not name the woman to protect the identity of the girl.
Prosecutors told FOX59 Indianapolis that the girl, after turning 11, gave birth to a boy in September 2017. The baby was given up for adoption, while the girl now resides in foster care.
“She’s doing better. That’s all that we can hope for right now. She’s at a really good place,” Glancy said.
“Three-and-a-half years’ worth of emotions stirred in Kevin Patrick Smith,” CNN reported.
“The 45-year-old said he was sitting in the Medford, Oregon, federal courthouse on Wednesday for the sentencing hearing for Donald Courtney Biggs, 40, when he rushed Biggs and punched him.
“Biggs, a former youth pastor at Mountain Christian Fellowship, had pleaded guilty in February to one count of transportation with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity with a minor, according to a news release from the US attorney’s office for Oregon.”
According to reports, the sentencing hearing was a long and testy one for the one-time youth pastor at the Medford, Oregon church.
First, victims’ statements were read, going on over two hours. Then it came time for sealed statements in Biggs’ defense.
It was all too much for Smith.
“At that point, I just kind of snapped,” Smith told CNN.
“I charged across the courtroom. He was sitting behind a desk. I leaped over the desk and got a punch in on his face.”
An enraged parent getting a shot at a man who victimized a child can be a frightful sight. Biggs was knocked to the ground, where he lay in the fetal position, according to the The Daily Wire. He was later taken to a hospital.
“Full force, just like Superman, it looked like he flew through the air right into him and just punched him,” Jacob Elkin, a witness, told CNN.
Smith was charged with obstructing governmental or judicial administration, fourth-degree assault and second-degree disorderly conduct. However, this being 2018, there’s already been a GoFundMe page set up for his assistance.
“Kevin smith is what I would like to call a heroic figure, a true man of justice, an outstanding man,” the page read.
“As of Sunday night, the page had raised $12,915, most of it coming in individual contributions of $125 or less,” CNN reported. That number was up to almost $15,000 by early Tuesday afternoon.
One of the issues in the case was that even prosecutors thought justice wasn’t served. This included Elkin, who set up the GoFundMe page and is also a relative of a victim. He also used an image of Superman in the campaign, something with which I might begin to think DC Comics might not be terribly thrilled with.
Even though the investigation revealed multiple instances of inappropriate contact and recording devices used, Biggs was only charged with one count.
That still brought a pretty stiff sentence.
Biggs “was sentenced today to 188 months in federal prison for surreptitiously recording minor church members in various stages of undress while employed as a youth pastor at Mountain Christian Fellowship in Medford,” a statement from the United States’ Attorney’s Office District of Oregon read.
“This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by the U.S. Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims.”
And, as it stands, Biggs is going to be spending a goodly chunk of his life behind bars. And on his way, he managed to make national news in the worst way possible.
New data: Child Abuse deaths rise,
notably in Texas, Indiana
There is not 686,000 calls taken for Child maltreatment, there are at least 3,300,000 calls annually for Child Abuse, and this is estimated to be less than a quarter of the actual instances of Child Maltreatment, which translates to at least 13,200,000 actual instances of Child maltreatment.
However, somehow CPS hacks through all the Abused Children, and comes up with just 686,000 instances of abuse, this is why all Child Abuse calls should be made to 911. Also, “under staffed”, “case-load too high”, and “under-funded”, is stock, go-to excuses every time, yet these people’s transgressions are well documented: Making fake abuse calls on innocent people, Throwing thousands of unchecked reports in dumpsters, Deleting answering machines, Taking weeks to investigate priority cases which are supposed to be checked out within 24 hours, and a real favorite of theirs is Manufacturing Instruments(Documents) of the court…. SO THEY CAN HURT INNOCENT CHILDREN, PARENTS, AND GOOD FAMILIES!!!!
All of this is a matter of record, just as their “5 Children die a day from abuse”, the real number is at least 10 – 13, and possibly as high as 15 Children die every day from Child Maltreatment. And finally, “UNDERFUNDED????”, at this point in time, there are several cases of CPS employees ripping off the system(the Tax payers) for 5 and 6 figures by traveling first class, among other things.
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – Newly released federal figures show a sharp rise in child abuse fatalities in the U.S., with the bulk of the increase occurring in two states — Indiana and Texas — where child-welfare agencies have been in disarray.
Not one state has met all of the minimum child welfare standards even one (1) time since this system was put in place.
“Shame On U.S.” Report
According to a report released this week by the Department of Health and Human Services, there were 1,700 fatalities resulting from child maltreatment reported in fiscal year 2016, compared to 1,589 the previous year — a 7 percent increase. The figures encompass data from every state but Maine, as well as from the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
Accounting for most of the increase were Texas, where fatalities jumped from 162 to 217, and Indiana, where the death toll more than doubled from 34 to 70.
“It breaks my heart for the kids in this state right now,” said Juvenile Judge Marilyn A. Moores, whose Indianapolis courtroom has seen a surge in child welfare cases due to the opioid epidemic.
“Traditional systems of early warning are overwhelmed. And parents, because of addiction, aren’t seeking intervention because their kids are going to be removed,” she added. “It allows kids to die. It’s a fact.”
Long festering problems in Indiana’s child welfare system exploded into public view in December, when the director of the Department of Child Services resigned with a scathing letter that accused Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb of making management changes and service cuts that “all but ensure children will die.”
“I choose to resign, rather than be complicit in decreasing the safety, permanency and well-being of children who have nowhere else to turn,” wrote Mary Beth Bonaventura, a former juvenile judge appointed to lead the agency by then-Gov. Mike Pence in 2013.
In recent years, the number of child welfare cases in Indiana has skyrocketed, rising from about 13,000 in 2012 to nearly 24,000 last year. Funding, meanwhile, has not kept pace, said Cathy Graham, executive director of the Indiana Association of Resources and Child Advocacy.
Advocates paint a picture of an agency in perpetual triage, with caseworkers spread so thin that they have little choice but to cut corners. The agency does not have enough caseworkers to meet a minimum requirement set in state law and turnover has been a major problem, according to the agency’s most recent annual report.
Holcomb launched a review in December. A preliminary report released Thursday found the state has an inadequate case management system.
In Texas, abuse-related fatalities have continued to rise despite high-level personnel changes at the child welfare agency, new legislative appropriations, and a federal judge, Janis Graham Jack, declaring in 2015 that the foster care system violated the constitutional rights of youngsters’ placed in long-term foster care.
In January, the judge issued her final order in the case, saying the state’s foster care system remained “broken.” She also ordered improvements in regards to record keeping and the handling of foster care placements. Texas appealed the ruling.
Two years ago, a commission created by Congress concluded that the United States lacks coherent, effective strategies for reducing the number of children who die each year from abuse and neglect. Although the number of such deaths reported by HHS has hovered at around 1,500 to 1,600 annually in recent years, the commission — citing gaps in how the data is compiled — suggested the actual number may be as high as 3,000 a year.
The commission issued an update this week noting that states across the country were moving to implement some of its recommendations for preventing maltreatment deaths.
The new report released by HHS’s Children’s Bureau, formally known as the National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System, does not offer theories explaining the sharp rise in child fatalities, but it provides demographic data on the victims.
According to the report, 70 percent of the victims were younger than 3. Fatality rates were higher for boys than for girls, and higher for African-American children than for whites and Hispanics.
Parents — acting alone, together or with other individuals — were the perpetrators in 78 percent of the deaths.
Looking more broadly at national trends, the report estimated that 676,000 children were victims of abuse and neglect in 2016, a 1 percent drop from 2015. Most of the cases involved neglect; about 18 percent involved physical abuse — up slightly from 2015.
“When your data is flawed, every other part of your system is going to be flawed.”
Elisa Weichel, a staff attorney with the Children’s Advocacy Institute
For the second time, Baltimore man is
charged in the death of a Child
BALTIMORE, MD – The two baby boys died five years apart, both of them bruised and beaten.
Seven-month-old Kendall Brown suffered fractured ribs and bleeding in his brain in December 2012. Then 18-month-old Zaray Gray died with a broken clavicle and internal injuries last week.
The father of the first child, a Baltimore man who spent almost three years in prison for his son’s death, has been charged in the death of the second child, his girlfriend’s son.
Francois Browne, 35, of Woodbourne Heights, was charged Saturday with murder in the death of Zaray Gray. Browne remains held without bail.
Online court records did not list an attorney for him.
The second case against Browne has focused attention to the prison sentence he received after his son’s death. After Browne was convicted of child abuse resulting in death, Baltimore Circuit Judge Timothy J. Doory sentenced him to 15 years in prison with all but four years suspended.
Browne served two years and 11 months in prison.
“This guy should still be in jail,” said Dr. Dylan Stewart, director of pediatric trauma at Johns Hopkins Hospital. “The penalties are far too lenient.”
Recent years have brought an uptick in the number of children killed in Baltimore by a parent or guardian. While there were two such deaths reported in 2007, there were at least eight in 2016, according to the latest report by the Baltimore City Child Fatality Review Team. More than 40 children have been killed by a guardian in the last decade, according to the city health department.
“I have a huge amount of concern for the level of child abuse in Baltimore,” Stewart said. “Murdering a child should not have a different penalty than pulling the trigger and murdering an adult.”
One youth advocate said the case could spur efforts to tighten a new law aimed at alerting social services agencies if someone becomes a parent after being convicted of killing a child.
The new law, which takes effect Oct. 1, requires courts to notify the state health department when someone is convicted of the murder, attempted murder or manslaughter of a child. Later, if a birth certificate lists that person as being the parent of a newborn, the local social services department is to be notified so officials can provide an assessment of the family and offer services if needed.
Jennifer Bevan-Dangel, executive director of the nonprofit group Advocates for Children and Youth, said the law is aimed at protecting children whose parents have killed or seriously harmed a child in the past.
But a limitation, she said, is that it applies only to people convicted of three crimes: murder, attempted murder and manslaughter. That means it wouldn’t kick in for someone convicted of child abuse, even in a case that resulted in death.
Another limitation is that the law would alert authorities only if the convicted person became a parent, not if someone simply was a caretaker of a child. The law matches court records with birth records.
Bevan-Dangel said the law might need to be broadened to cover more scenarios. “Potentially there is more work to be done on this statute to make sure it’s is casting the right-size safety net,” she said.
Meanwhile, the deepening opioid epidemic has heightened concerns about child abuse in Baltimore. In March, Anne Kirsch, 37, was sentenced to 30 years in prison after police found her infant son beaten, starved and dead at 9 days old. She admitted to using heroin during her pregnancy and on the night before her son died.
Browne’s son was hospitalized on New Year’s Eve 2012 with bleeding in his brain. Doctors pronounced the baby brain dead three days later. Browne had been alone with his son the night the boy was hospitalized, police wrote in charging documents. Browne was convicted of child abuse resulting in death.
He was released from prison in December 2015, officials said. He also received five years of probation.
On Wednesday night, police found 1½-year-old Zaray Gray injured in a home in the West Forest Park neighborhood of Northwest Baltimore. Browne had taken the boy and two other children to the playground earlier that day, police wrote in charging documents.
Once home, they wrote, Zaray began throwing up. Officers wrote that Browne told them he was alone with the boy in the home while the other children played outside. He heard the boy moaning and later that night the child stopped breathing, officers wrote.
Doctors found bruises on the boy’s face, chin, neck and mouth. The boy’s left clavicle was broken, police said.
Browne told police the boy had fallen while going down a sliding board, bumping his head and back.
Doctors also found tears to his bowels, police wrote, “likely caused by multiple blows to the abdomen.”
Wake County bus driver charged in
Child Sex Crimes
RALEIGH, NC – A Wake County Public School System employee is suspended without pay after being accused of sex crimes against a child.
Todd Van Nguyen, 61, is a bus driver for Knightdale High School, Lockhart Elementary School, and Douglas Elementary School, according to a spokesperson with the school district.
He is facing three charges of indecent liberties with a child.
The arrest warrant alleges that Nguyen “unlawfully, willfully and feloniously did commit and attempt to commit a lewd and lascivious act upon the body” of a child under the age of 16.
Court records indicate all three charges involve the same child, a 14-year-old girl.
Raleigh police said the charges are not related to his job as a bus driver.
School officials released this statement following the incident:
Because it’s important to keep you informed, I want to share information about a recent incident. None of our students have been directly affected by this incident.
On July 19, bus driver Todd Nguyen was arrested for taking indecent liberties with minors. It is important to note that the alleged victims were NOT students. I wanted to notify you immediately because our records indicate that Mr. Nguyen was the assigned driver for your student’s bus route.
While privacy laws prevent us from sharing specific details, I want to assure you that upon learning of the arrest, WCPSS officials took swift and appropriate action. They immediately began an investigation and suspended the bus driver, which prevents him from being present on any WCPSS property.
While we are fortunate none of our students were affected, the alleged behavior is abhorrent and deeply distressing. Please know that our primary concern is the safety of your child. We will continue to take every measure to ensure that safety.